Movies Movies Movies!

Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentines Day! I actually had an outfit post planned for today but I couldn't work it out and I totally wish I had taken photos earlier. I think I learned a lesson today, take photos beforehand! Anyways I have been spending time watching movies during my long vacation off uni and I'm still on vacation and will probably watch more but I wanted to talk about some movies I recently watched and enjoyed very much. I have been obsessing over Ewan McGregor lately so 3 of the movies are his. Here I go!

Into The Wild: Based on a true story about Chris McCandless who leaves society and goes to live in the wild to be free of everything and to live his dreams to the fullest. The film was of course very emotional and had lots of meaningful messages and Emile Hirsch was amazing at acting, he got all of the emotion through to me. I loved all the places Chris had visited during his 2 years of traveling and Sean Penn did an amazing job at capturing the scenery for the big screen. I had never heard of the story before so everything I saw on screen was new and suprising to me and I'm so glad I now know about Chris because this truly is an extraordinary story.

The Impossible: Based on a true story about a tourist family who were in Thailand during the tsunami in 2004. Even though the original story is about a Spanish family the family in the movie is English and so the story pretty much shapes itself around white middle-class people with a few Thai appearances (this detail might put off some of you but the important thing is the story I think). The tsunami was a tragic event and I have watched tons of documentaries and stories on YouTube about it. One does not have to be present at the spot to understand the tragedy of such things and I get emotional everytime I hear inspirational stories from people who have survived. This family was very lucky to have survived and told their story.

Beginners: I have to be honest and say that I only watched this film for Ewan McGregor and I'm so glad it turned out to be amazing. After the death of his wife 75 year old Hal Fields (played by Christopher Plummer) comes out of the closet and starts to freely experience his homosexuality. The story however revolves around Oliver Fields (played by Ewan McGregor) who's life is shaped by his experiences with his mother and father. These experiences therefore affect his romantic relationships which makes up his character. In the movie we see him with Anna (played by Melanie Laurent) who also has her own story. I really loved the chemistry between the characters in the movie Christopher & Ewan and Melanie & Ewan scenes where very well acted. Later on I also found out that this was a true story about the director of the movie himself!!

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen: The story is about a sheik who has the vision to bring salmon into the Yemen and he has much faith in doing this which is the impossible. On the other hand fish expert Dr. Alfred Jones (McGregor) has no faith in this project (actually has no faith in general) and knows it is impossible but accepts to take part in this project as he spends more time with the sheik and Harriet (played by Emily Blunt). As the story evolves he realizes that he has more faith than he had imagined. 


Sorry if this was a bit long! See you soon <3
 Photos are taken from google images*


10 comments:

  1. Into The Wild is one of my favourite films of all time! I haven't seen the others though, but based on your recommendations I'll definitely give them a go- I have a week off sixth form so I'll expecting a lot of film-watching due to the horrible weather! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Into the Wild sounds like a brilliant film, I may just have to watch it now! I've been meaning to watch Salmon Fishing the Yemen for ages now, maybe I'll have to set aside the time to give it a watch now you've recommended it! :)

    missisgoode.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of them :( I must watch it!
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen",
    and I've always wanted to watch "Beginners",
    I really need to do this, it has to be a wonderful
    movie. :)

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    The premise of Salmon Fishing in the Yemen gives me pause. A few decades ago, some people wanted to introduce tilapia to the local waters because they thought it would be good for the fishing industry. And it was! But what they didn't predict was that the tilapia would prey on the local fish species and cause them to become endangered. =(

    Anyway, I'm sure the movie is good, but this is one of those times when real life gets in the way of a story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am definitely going to check the two last ones. into the wild was an incredible movie, it changed my way of thinking + emile hirsch is really my kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed you on GFC and Bloglovin!

    I have wanted to see Salmon Fishing in the Yemen FOREVER. I remember when the preview came out for it, but I don't think our theatre got it! Since then, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I really need to buy it.

    allisonleighann.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks You for reviews! I must watch this movies with my wife.

    ReplyDelete